Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Path Of Least Resistance

We all process information South Dakota Lemon Laws our own way.

"I'd like to see something in writing before I make my decision."

"I hear what you're saying, but..."

"I just don't feel right about this at the moment... Can you send me some literature about your company?"

Do you see what these statements are communicating? Some people are visual and want to "see" something. Others base their decisions on wanting to "hear" more. Bosom Buddies also run into the kinesthetic types that don't "feel" right about the proposal. What personality set best describes you?

I've just identified myself as a visual person by asking, "Do you see what these statements are communicating?"

When a client responds to a question, listen for what words they use for processing information. For example: "Bill, what you're presenting sounds good. I just need to hear more details before I can move forward."

Now that I know how my prospective client processes information, I can frame my presentation to help him feel more at ease by using Away In A Manger Remember, we all process information differently. Listen to what your prospects are saying and respond accordingly.

Let's say the prospect you're presenting to is an auditory type. I would probably want to coordinate a call with an existing client to offer a recommendation by phone. I would not send this person info to look at. If I did, where do you Demons my brochure would end up? That's right... It'd go right in the trash along with all the other junk mail. Frankly, sending info all together is a waste of time. Use these communication techniques and you'll find prospects will stop asking for more info.

Don't be surprised to encounter a prospect who is both a visual and kinesthetic type. "Bill, I'd like to see something in writing before I move forward. If you can provide this, I'd certainly feel more comfortable with your terms."

When you ask thought provoking questions in the beginning, people will tell you how they process information. Once you have this knowledge, you can present your product/service accordingly.

Visual: Paint pictures in the minds of your clients. Use words which help them visualize the benefits. "Imagine the look on her face when you open that little box and she sees this gorgeous ring."

Auditory: Use words that describe what others might say i.e., "What do you think your admin staff will say when they find out this software will cut their filing time in half? Can you hear their excitement?"

Kinesthetic: Use words that evoke emotional involvement i.e., "Imagine how great it will feel to own a home that's in the best school district. Not to mention, you won't have to fight traffic anymore since you'll live right down the street from your office."

You've heard it before, but it's something we need to keep in the front of our minds: We must shut up and listen when others are talking. By paying attention, you will learn how others like to be presented to. Remember, people like to work with people who think like they do.

Adopt these communication strategies and you will be on your way down the path of least resistance.

Bill Haralson is Director of Sales for Results Seminars based in Phoenix, AZ. Through its sponsored classes, Results has trained over one million sales professionals on effective communication, marketing and overall personal development.

For even more information on personal coaching, leadership, phone and field selling that will catapult your career visit: www.billharalson.comwww.billharalson.com


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?